December 16, 2015

50 | 52 Cardamom Biscotti

Christmas is just around the corner. 
(I know, I know, #takeadeepbreath...)

I have to admit that with sunny days, blue skies, and around 14°C (57°F) outside temperature, I find it very hard to get into the Christmas spirit.
(Not that I'm complaining about this awesome weather! No, I'm really not. But it's not very christmassy for this part of the world.)

So anyway - I mostly blame it on the great weather that I haven't baked any Christmas cookies yet.
So let's start with some Biscotti that are not entirely christmassy. Alright?

 

Cardamom Biscotti

160 g (1 1/4 cups) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
(1 cup) almonds, blanched and ground
1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
2 eggs, plus 1 egg white for brushing
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
  • Combine flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt in a bowl. Add almonds, cardamom, and the sugar (minus 2 tablespoons). Whisk eggs and vanilla together and add to dry ingredients. Knead together with your hands until well combined.
  • Transfer dough onto baking sheet with parchment paper, roll into a log of about 22cm / 9in length. Flatten top a bit and bake for about 30 minutes.
  • Whisk egg white a bit, then brush log with it. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake for another 15 minutes.
  • Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into 0.5cm/0.25in thick slices and lay them out flat on the baking sheet. Bake for another 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
 

My modifications:
None. (Except for using ground cardamom and not grinding it myself.)

The taste:
Good, like biscotti. Very subtle cardamom flavor (but maybe it will come through more after a couple of days.)

What is your favorite cookie that's not so christmassy?


No comments:

Post a Comment