November 25, 2015

47 | 52 Prinzenrolle

Do you ever buy cookies at the grocery store? 
Even if you love to bake, I am sure you do. At least every once in a while.

One of my husband's favorite store-bought cookie is 'Prinzenrolle' (which translates literally to 'Prince's roll').  It was apparently invented by Belgian baker de Beukelaer in 1870 and was originally called 'Le petit prince fourrée' (the small filled prince). It is now called 'Prinzenrolle' in German because it comes stacked in a roll. 35 millionen rolls go on sale in Germany every year.

So one night when the hubby was craving them but we didn't have any, I tried to make them.
(Yes, I know, I'm a good wife. I'm patting myself on the back as I'm writing this.)


Prinzenrolle
From woman.at

For the cookies
500 g (4 cups) flour
250 g (2 cups) powdered sugar
1 package vanilla sugar (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
pinch of salt
250 g (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) butter
2 eggs

For the filling

250 g (1/2 lb) dark chocolate
150 g (1/2 cup) Nutella
  • For the cookies, knead together flour, sugar, salt, butter, and eggs until you have a smooth dough. Wrap up and let cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). 
  • Roll out dough on a floured surface (about 0.5 cm/0.2 in) and cut out rounds. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool completely. 
  • For the filling, melt the chocolate over a bain marie. Add Nutella and stir to combine.
  • Put a bit of filling on one cookie and press second cookie on top.

My modifications:
The original recipe adds 4 tablespoons of Amaretto to the filling. I don't like it so I just left it out.

The taste:
Not like Prinzenrolle. But like a good, homemade chocolate-filled cookie.

What's your favorite cookie? Store-bought or homemade? Filled or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment