June 10, 2015

23 | 52 Banana Nut Bread

Every couple of months, the same thing happens in my kitchen.
And I'm almost sure that it happens in yours, too.

Let's call it the #brownüberripebananaproblem.
I think you know what I'm talking about...

And the general solution to this problem is: Banana Nut Bread.
Or other banana breads or cakes. Or smoothies. Or freezing banana slices for future projects. Or whatever.

So this is my latest try at finding the perfect Banana Nut Bread recipe.
While I've tried a lot of them, I haven't found the perfect one just yet.
So that #brownüberripebananaproblem is actually an opportunity.
For finding the perfect BNB recipe.


Banana Nut Bread

255 g (2 cups) flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 (1 1/2 cup) ripe bananas, mashed
100 g (1 cup) sugar
120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk
1 egg
60 g (1/2 cup) walnuts, chopped
40 g (1/3 cup) pecans, chopped
  • Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF).
  • Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
  • In a second bowl, mix egg, sugar, and vegetable oil until combined.
  • Add dry mix to the egg mix and stir until blended.
  • Add milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas and mix well.
  • Fold in chopped walnuts and pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  • Sprinkle pecans on top.
  • Bake for 60-80 minutes.

My modifications:
None. You don't mess with copycat recipes. At least not if you really want to compare the degree of copycatness...

The taste:
Well, well.
I cannot say anything about the taste in comparison to your favorite coffee place. Because I've never had it there.
In comparison to all the other BNBs I've teasted so far, this definitely belongs to the upper half of the ranking. But that's mainly due to the pecan pieces that are sprinkled on top and really make it different to your plain ole BNB.
Other than that, it's a good, solid BNB and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
It's just not new or exciting or special (except for those pecans).
And I guess I hoped for more. Being that copycat recipe and all.

What's your favorite baked good that you would like to copycat?

No comments:

Post a Comment