July 28, 2013

30*52 Bacon Gugelhopf

For some people, bacon is the answer to everything.
I'm not one of them. Please don't be mad.

But when my hubby (very randomly) mentioned wanting a typical Alsatian bacon gugelhopf, I thought I would make it for him.

Bacon Gugelhopf
Adapted from kochbar.de

500 g flour
1 cube (42 g) fresh yeast
250 ml milk, room temperature
160 g butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
150 g walnuts
250 g bacon, in cubes
  • Dissolve yeast in 100 ml milk. Put flour into a mixing bowl, make a small dent in the middle and fill with yeast-milk. Cover for about 15 minutes until yeast-milk starts to bubble.
  • Add remaining milk, butter, egg, sugar, and salt and knead to a smooth dough. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.
  • Chop walnuts roughly. Fry bacon in a pan, strain and drain off fat (but keep it!), let cool.
  • Add nuts and bacon, plus a bit of the bacon fat to the dough and knead once more. Put dough into prepared gugelhopf pan and bake at 200°C (390°F) in the bottom half of the oven for 40-50 minutes.

My modifications:
I just now realized that I only used half of the yeast - oh my... And you know what? It is totally fine. In fact, I think I would only use half a cube next time as well.
I didn't pan-fry the walnuts because I just couldn't be bothered (and I don't think it usually makes such a difference anyway).
I don't own a gugelhopf pan anymore. I used to have a silicone one but nothing turned out well when I used it so I threw it away. Using the wreath part of a round springform pan is totally fine as well, it's just technically not a gugelhopf anymore but I guess a 'regular' cake.

The taste:
As I said, I'm not the biggest bacon person. But this is so good!
It is very moist, which I love, and the walnuts are so yummy! I can imagine that this would be great with walnuts and dried tomatoes (no bacon then). Or hazelnuts and dried apricots! Oh yes, I will definitely try both of those ideas!

Have you ever accidentally used the wrong amount of ingredients and it turned out really bad because of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment