June 16, 2013

24*52 Apricot-Chocolate-Coconut-Crumble Pie

Fresh apricots. Yum. A big bowl of them were waiting to be eaten here.

But of course I rather turned them into some baked goodness.

I know I've been crumbling a lot on this blog but hey - you can never have enough crumbles in your life (at least not when they're the sweet, edible kind). Right?
 Apricot-Chocolate-Coconut-Crumble Pie
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Crust
1 pie crust (with 1 teaspoon sugar added)

Filling
35 (about 800 g or 1 3/4 lb) apricots
105 g (1/2 cup) sugar
55 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
60 g (1/3 cup) small chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon salt

Crumbles
175 g (3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons) flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
115 g (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) shredded coconut
114 g (1 stick) butter, at room temperature and in pieces
80 g (1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons) brown sugar
  • Prepare pie crust. Leave refrigerated for at least one hour.
  • Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
  • Cut apricot into halves, remove stone and cut 3 wedges from each half. Combine with the remaining filling ingredients (works best if you use your hands). Pour into pie crust.
  • Knead together all ingredients for the crumbles. Crumble over apricots. (It is a lot of crumble dough and the apricots were doming up so for me it worked best to press the crumbles onto the apricots to prevent everything from crumbling down.)
  • Bake for about 1 hour on a lower oven rack. Place foil over top after 25-30 minutes to prevent the crumbles from getting burnt.
  • Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
 My modifications:
I used my recipe for the crust. It's not very different from Martha Stewart's though.
I also added the chocolate chips to the filling because chocolate can't hurt.
I only baked it for 1 hour instead of 1 1/2 and that was totally enough.

The taste:
So very good! I like the chocolate in it but if you're sceptical you can also leave it out.
I expected to taste more of the coconut so maybe replacing a bit of the flour with more coconut would be an option but that's just an idea, so try at your own risk.

What's your favorite fruity pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment