February 3, 2013

5*52 Waffles

Waffles are comfort food. And we all need a bit of comfort in our lives, don't we?

Now, I know that this is not your typical baking recipe because it doesn't even require an oven but I still consider waffles to be a 'baked good'. I hope you agree.
I feel like I also have to mention that the waffle iron is one of those kitchen equipments that I absolutely love to have but which are neglected for most of the time. I really have to change that...

Oh, and did I mention that these waffles are fat free? Can't get better than that.

Waffles
Adapted from Chefkoch

Makes 8 waffles

250 ml (1 cup) milk
2 eggs
4 tablespoons (50 g) sugar
pintch of salt
180 g (1.5 cups) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff.
  • Whisk together milk, egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Add baking powder and flour and whisk until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites. 
  • Bake in your waffle iron as directed.
  • Dust with powdered sugar, sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles, top with fruit preserves or Nutella.
My modifications:
I added 10 g of sugar to the original recipe. The waffles are still not sweet, so dusting/sprinkling/topping with something sweet is highly recommended :)
I also omitted the lemon zest that the original recipe called for. I just didn't see it necessary.

The taste:
Very fluffy! Not very sweet which makes them perfect for putting something sweet on top. But I already mentioned that above, didn't I?


What's your favorite (baked) comfort food?

No comments:

Post a Comment