October 14, 2012

41/52 Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

There's no denying it. Fall is here. 
But that's not a problem - at least not for me - as I love fall. 
The colors, the fresh crisp air, cozy evenings with lit candles... 

And pumpkins. Let's not forget pumpkins. 
Until a couple of years ago, I loved the look of them but not the taste. 
I'm really glad this changed and pumpkins have become a big part of my autumnal cuisine.
Hence, today's choice of baking...


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
Adapted from Bake at 350

300 g (2 cups) flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
227 g (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
275 g (1 1/4 cups) sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin
200 g (8 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
  • Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
  • Combine flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.
  • Whisk together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  • Add the egg and vanilla and combine well. 
  • Add pumpkin. 
  • Fold in the flour mix until just combined. 
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan (about 20x30 cm or 13x9 in) and bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool and cut into bars.

My modifications:
Since I had it at home, I used pumpkin pie spice which made it a bit easier. Use about 2.5-3 teaspoons if you wanna do the same.
I "only" used 200 g (8 oz.) of chocolate chips instead of the suggested 12 oz. (340 g). I love chocolate but that was definitely enough.
In Germany, we don't really know or eat canned pumpkin. There is only pickled pumpkin so I gave it a try. Of course I drained the pumpkin before adding it to the batter but what I didn't consider is that the butter could still curdle. And it did. But I just processed the batter with my hand blender and it was all good. So to all my readers in Germany: pickled pumpkin works well, don't worry about the possible curdling and just blend away...


The taste:
Autumnally going on Christmassy which means totally yummy (at least in my terms). I felt that the pumpkin flavor came out better on the second day so make it one day ahead if you can.

What do you love about the fall season?


No comments:

Post a Comment