August 12, 2012

32/52 Lemon Crinkle Cookies

I just can't help it. I loooooove the taste of lemons. 
Not pure lemons, but you know what I mean...

Doesn't a little lemon flavor brighten up your mood no matter where you are and what season it is?

Doesn't the yellow color of lemons lift your spirits even on darker days?

See - that's why you can never bake or cook enough with lemons.

Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Adapted from Lauren's Latest

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

60 g (1/2 cup) butter, softened
210 g (1 cup) sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
225 g (1 1/2 cups) flour
60 g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar

  • Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
  • Mix butter and sugar until fluffy and light.
  • Beat in vanilla, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice.
  • Except for the powdered sugar, add all dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  • Pour powdered sugar onto a plate. Roll balls out of one heaped teaspoon of dough and roll around in powdered sugar. Place on cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 9-11 minutes until they have a matte look. Remove from the oven, let cool for a couple of minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.

My modifications:
I used a little less sugar (170 g instead of 210 g or about 7/8 cup instead of 1 cup) just to save some (very few) calories.


The taste:
Very nice but not as lemony as I hoped they would taste. Next time (and there will be a next time!), I will double the amount of lemon zest and lemon juice. But who knows, maybe they need a little time to really take on the lemon flavor, so I will keep you updated.
As you can see in the pictures, my cookies did not flatten much but I don't think that's a bad thing. The crinkle turned out pretty though.
They could have been a bit more gooey but I think that's just me. I'm a gooey-cookie-person...

What's you favorite citrus fruit? And what do you make/cook/bake with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment