May 6, 2012

18/52 Oreo Mint Brownies

Oreos. Mint. Two of my mom's favorites. 
Mint Oreos? She loved them when we brought them back from the States but we can't get them here.
Oreo Mint Brownies? Should be an even better combination that has been waiting on one of my Pinterest boards for a while now, to be made when my mom visits.

She did visit last week. And the Oreo Mint Brownies were made. Especially for her.


Oreo Mint Brownies
Adapted from babble

300 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
480 g (2 cups) sugar 
2 teaspoons vanilla 
4 eggs 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
80 g (2/3 cup) cocoa powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
170 g (1 cup) flour 
25 Mint Oreos (or regular Oreos plus about 10 drops of pure peppermint oil)
100 g (1 cup) mini chocolate chips
  • Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  • Mix together the oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, baking powder, salt, and flour until combined well.
  • Spread the Oreos on the bottom of a greased square pan (23x23 cm or 9x9 in). 

  • Pour batter on top of Oreos and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
  • Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting and serving.

My modifications:
I doubled the ingredients because the amounts that the original recipe calls for are not enough for the size of the pan.
As suggested above, I used regular Oreos (or rather: German Oreo imitation cookies) and added about 10 drops of pure peppermint oil. You can usually get the oil at pharmacies or drug stores (for colds).


The taste:
They were good. But not the best brownies I ever made. 
The Oreos on the bottom were nice though. Might try that again with a different brownie batter. 
I also think that Oreo crumbles in the batter would probably be nice, but I am sure that's not a new idea. 
Oh, and the texture was very chewy, soft, runny even. Even though that's what I love about brownies, it might have been a bit too much in this case.

What's your favorite brownie recipe? Are they plain or pimped? 

No comments:

Post a Comment