January 8, 2012

1/52: Nut Cake


Happy 2012! Let's get this cake'n'bake party started, shall we?

The thing is, before Christmas there was a lot of baking going on. Yes, all over the world but also specifically in this household. Ten different Christmas cookies, one 'Stollen' (typical German Christmas cake/bread), and one cake for coffee time on Christmas eve. The cookie tins are still filled with the last bits and pieces, so cravings for new sweet baked goods have not appeared until (and including) today.

But since this blog was waiting for its first post, I decided to start with something simple. Easy. Quick. Made from ingredients still at home from the Christmas baking extravaganza. So this is it.

Nut Cake
adapted from Swedish Cakes and Cookies which was given to me by my Swedish friend Katarina a couple of years ago. Thanks again, Katta!
  • 125 g (1/2 cup) butter, softened
  • 160 g (2/3 cup) sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 75 g (3/4 cup) ground nuts
  • 110 g (2/3 cups) flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
My modifications:
Since I only had eggs size small, I used 3 instead of 2.
Ground almonds and grounds hazelnuts were left from Christmas so I used a mix of 40 g almonds and 35 g hazelnuts. I also added 50 g of almond slivers that needed to be used up.
  • Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
  • Beat the butter and sugar until light.
  • Add one egg at a time and beat well.
  • Combine the dry ingredients and fold into the batter.
  • Pour into 1 liter (4 cup) loaf pan or 8 inch round cake pan.
  • Bake on a low oven rack for around 30 minutes.
I moved my cake to one of the top racks for the last 5 minutes, since the top hadn't baked much. I even added 10 more minutes on the middle rack after which it was perfect.
      This really was simple, easy, and quick, don't you think?
      Nevertheless moist, tasty, and a real crowd-pleaser, I would say.
      And a good way to start the New Year after all that Christmas indulgence...

      No comments:

      Post a Comment